The Carlton Farms BLT w/ Homemade Bacon MayoBy Carlton Farms
The BLT – made for those times when you just need to go big. Whether it’s a single or double decker, if you’re going big, make sure you’ve got the BEST bacon around – from our smokehouses at Carlton Farms!
And why stop there! We always use leftover bacon fat to create our own ‘Bacon Mayo’ for BLTs.
Total time: 30 mins. | Prep Time: 15 mins.
Ingredients and directions
FOR THE SANDWICH:
- 1 pack Carlton Farms Bacon
- 8 slices Thick-cut Bread (brioche or Texas toast)
- 4 thick slices Heirloom Tomato
- 4 large leaves of Lettuce
- 3 tbsp butter
FOR THE BACON MAYO:
- ⅓ cup reserved Bacon Fat
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil or Canola Oil
- 1 heavy pinch Mustard Powder
- 1 large Egg Yolk
- ½ Lemon
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Heat a large cast iron pan over medium heat.
- Toast one side of each slice of bread using a teaspoon of butter (as a reminder there are 3 tsps in 1 tbsp of butter) until golden brown – set aside.
- Now add the bacon to the cast iron pan in one even layer if possible (otherwise cook in batches). Cook the bacon until browned and crisp, gently flipping the bacon two or three times during the process – about 15mins. Reserve ⅓ cup of the bacon fat and place it in a small bowl – set the crispy bacon aside, draining on a paper towel.
- While the bacon fat is still warm, add the olive oil or canola oil and then let cool. The additional oil will keep the bacon fat from solidifying.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk the egg yolk and mustard powder together, then slowly whisk in the bacon fat mixture a little drizzle at a time, until it’s thickened and emulsified.
- Finally add a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and whisk until incorporated.
- To assemble the sandwich, slather the “bacon mayo” on both slices of bread, then layer tomato, lettuce, and bacon to your heart’s delight. If you want to get crazy, build double-decker sandwiches! Enjoy.
- The Carlton Farms BLT w/ Homemade Bacon Mayo
- Carlton Farms Holiday ‘Mock’ Porchetta – Pork Loin wrapped in bacon Recipe
- Carlton Farms Holiday Crown Roast of Pork
- Grilled Carlton Farms Porterhouse Pork Chops
- Grilled Carlton Farms Pork Burgers with Grilled Peaches and Dirty Mustard
- Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry-Bacon Barbecue Sauce
- Carlton Farms Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Smoked Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf with Jack Daniels Glaze
- Carlton Farms Pork Chops and Peaches with a Peach Gastrique