Grilled Bratwurst with Onion Braised in Beer and Mustard
Adapted from Bruce Aidells’ Complete Sausage Book by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly, Ten Speed Press, 2000. Serve with German Potato Salad and in seasoned fruit for your next get together.
Our pairing suggestion:
Brats and beer are a great combination.
Total time: 40 mins. | Active: 20 mins.
Ingredients and directions
- Four 4 oz fresh Carlton Farms Bratwurst
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat, lard or olive oil
- 3 cups onion, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 12 ounces dark or amber beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons coarse-ground country-style mustard
- 4 crusty hoagie or Italian rolls, split
- 1. Heat fat in 12 inch, deep skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sugar, stir well to coat with fat. Sauté onions, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown. Add beer, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add bay leaves, lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir mustard into onions, remove from heat and set aside, discarding bay leaves.
- 2. Grill bratwurst over medium-hot fire, turning to brown evenly, until nicely browned and internal temperature reaches 160ºF on an instant-read meat thermometer. Remove from grill and add to skillet with onions. Over medium heat, cook and stir until sauce becomes syrupy. Serve bratwurst in rolls, generously smothered with mustardy onions.
- Carlton Farms Holiday ‘Mock’ Porchetta – Pork Loin wrapped in bacon Recipe
- Carlton Farms Holiday Crown Roast of Pork
- Grilled Carlton Farms Porterhouse Pork Chops
- Grilled Carlton Farms Pork Burgers with Grilled Peaches and Dirty Mustard
- Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry-Bacon Barbecue Sauce
- Carlton Farms Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Smoked Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf with Jack Daniels Glaze
- Carlton Farms Pork Chops and Peaches with a Peach Gastrique
- Chorizo-filled Dates Wrapped in Bacon
- Pork and Bacon Kebabs
- Grilled Bratwurst with Onion Braised in Beer and Mustard
- Peppery Beef Rib Roast
- Bacon-cured Skirt Steak with Chanterelles and Shallots
- Grilled Texas Ribeye
- Grilled Steak Salad with Beets and Scallions
- Ham and Sausage Strata
- Pomegranate-Jalapeño-glazed Ham
- Grilled Hanger Steak with Bacon Chimichurri