Akasha Richmond, courtesy of foodandwine.com
At Akasha in L.A., chef Akasha Richmond prepares a sweet-and-spicy glaze for ham using house-made pomegranate-jalapeño jelly. An easier alternative: doctoring store-bought jalapeño jelly with pomegranate juice.
Our pairing suggestion:
Rich red Rhône blend.
Total time: 2 hrs. 30mins. | Active: 30 mins.
Ingredients and directions
- One 7 pound, Carlton Farms Bone-in Ham
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 20 whole cloves
- One 10 ounce jar jalapeño jelly (1 cup)
- 1 cup sweetened pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Place the ham in a large roasting pan and add the chicken stock. Stud the ham all over with the cloves.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, bring the jalapeño jelly, pomegranate juice and lemon juice to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened, 10 minutes. Whisk in the mustard, cinnamon and ginger and simmer until reduced to about 1-1/4 cups, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Drizzle half of the glaze over the ham and cover with foil. Roast for 1-1/2 hours, basting frequently, until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the ham registers 125ºF. Remove the foil and brush the ham with any remaining glaze. Roast for 30 minutes longer, until the top is lightly caramelized. Transfer to a platter. Discard the cloves. Pour the pan juices into a bowl and serve with the ham.
- Carlton Farms Holiday ‘Mock’ Porchetta
- Carlton Farms Holiday Crown Roast of Pork
- Grilled Carlton Farms Porterhouse Pork Chops
- Grilled Carlton Farms Pork Burgers with Grilled Peaches and Dirty Mustard
- Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry-Bacon Barbecue Sauce
- Carlton Farms Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Smoked Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf with Jack Daniels Glaze
- Carlton Farms Pork Chops and Peaches with a Peach Gastrique
- Chorizo-filled Dates Wrapped in Bacon
- Pork and Bacon Kebabs
- Grilled Bratwurst with Onion Braised in Beer and Mustard
- Peppery Beef Rib Roast
- Bacon-cured Skirt Steak with Chanterelles and Shallots
- Grilled Texas Ribeye
- Grilled Steak Salad with Beets and Scallions
- Ham and Sausage Strata
- Pomegranate-Jalapeño-glazed Ham
- Grilled Hanger Steak with Bacon Chimichurri